A fast take on the hot cross bun… Scoop and Scales has all the dry ingredients for these little cases of deliciousness… Easter themed with the piped crosses on here, but pretty delicious all year round to be fair!
Hot Cross Muffins (Gluten Free)
What you’ll need:
225g butter (at room temp)
200g light muscovado sugar**
150g ground almonds**
100g buckwheat flour**
1 tsp ground mixed spice**
1.5 tsp gluten free baking powder
1 large orange
3 large free-range eggs
175g mixed dried fruit**
50g dried cranberries**
1 eating apple
100g icing sugar**
(** available at S&S)
What to do:
- Heat the oven to 180C/Gas 4. Line 2 muffin trays with paper cases or squares of baking paper
- In a large bowl beat the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy
- Combine the almonds, flour, mixed spice & baking powder in a bowl, then sift it on top of the creamed butter & sugar. Add the orange zest, 3 tablespoons of the juice and the eggs to the bowl as well.Beat everything together until you have a thick batter, then stir in the dried fruit, cranberries and apple.
- Fill the muffin cases with the mixture to three quarters full. Bake for 35 minutes, then turn down the heat to 160C/Gas 3 and bake for a further 20 mins, until muffins are well risen and golden.
- Leave to cool in the tin for 15 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Gradually mix the icing sugar with 4-5 teaspoons of the orange juice to make a thick icing. Pipe or drizzle crosses onto each muffin and dust with icing sugar if you fancy.