You can purchase a wide range of store cupboard essentials, packaging-free, from Scoop and Scales which are perfect for rustling up some culinary delights. And to give you inspiration we will be publishing recipes provided by our members.
As you can tell by now, we are big cereal fans! And here we have a recipe provide by David, a loyal scoop-and-scaler, who highly recommends this no-cook treat, which uses oats, nuts and dates.
135g (1 and ½ cups) rolled oats*
110g (1 cup) nuts, roughly chopped*
120g (1 cup) walnuts*
400g (2 cups) pitted dates* (soaked for 10 minutes in warm water then drained)
70g (¾ cup) cocoa or cacao powder
60g (¼ cup) almond or peanut butter
60ml (¼ cup) honey or maple syrup
Ingredients with * have been included in Scoop and Scales buying lists.
- Optional step: Toast your oats and nuts other than walnuts in a 170 C oven for 15 minutes or until slightly golden brown. Otherwise, leave them raw.
- Process walnuts in a food processor until a loose meal is reached. Remove from bowl and set aside.
- Add dates and process until small bits remain (about 1 minute). It should form a “dough” like consistency.
- Add walnut meal and cacao back in with the dates and process to combine.
- Transfer mixture to a large mixing bowl and add the oats and nuts and stir to combine. You may have to use your hands to really incorporate the mixture well.
- Next, warm honey and almond butter in a pan over medium heat for 2-3 minutes until combined and pourable. Pour over brownie mixture and then thoroughly stir using a wooden spoon.
- Once thoroughly mixed, transfer to a lined 9×13 dish (or small tray).
- Freeze for 15-20 minutes to harden.
- Chop into 12 even bars. Store in an airtight container in the freezer or fridge to keep them extra fresh. They will get a little sticky when left out at room temp.
Recipe source: minimalistbaker.com