As we are going to be spending more time at home over the next few weeks, why not get ready to try some festive baking?
Here’s our favourite recipe for an easy to make and utterly delicious Christmas cake. Even if you’ve never attempted one before this is a super recipe for novice and accomplished bakers alike! What’s more, we can deliver most of the the key ingredient (all with**) to you.
What you’ll need:
1,250g mixed fruit**
280g plain flour**
0.5 tsp mixed spice**
0.5 tsp ground cinnamon**
280g soft brown sugar**
Rind of 1 lemon (optional)
Pinch of salt
What to do:
- Heat oven to 150ºC/300ºF/Gas Mark 1-2
- Line a 22cm (9 inch) cake tin using 2 thickness of greaseproof paper.
- Mix the fruit with the flour, salt and spices.
- Cream the butter, sugar and lemon rind until pale and fluffy.
- Add the eggs a little at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Fold in the fruit and flour mixture a bit at a time.
- Pour into the tin and spread evenly making sure there are no air pockets in the mixture and make a slight dip in the centre.
- Bake in the oven for about 4.5 hours (As it’s such a slow bake, it might be worth standing the tin on some something that can catch any ooze).To avoid over-browning the top, cover with several layers of greaseproof paper after 2.5 hours.
- When cooked, leave to cool in the tin and turn out onto wire rack.
- If you like, you can prick the cake all over the top with a fine skewer and slowly pour 2-3 tbsps of brandy over it before storing.
- To store, wrap in several layers of greaseproof paper and put in airtight tin.If you can’t find a large enough tin, aluminum paper can be used.