We foraged lots of wild garlic today and are just about to have a go at adding it to this delicious soda bread recipe…. get gathering folks, the garlic is in abundance and at its best just about now!
Wild Garlic Carrot & Black Pepper Soda Bread
What you’ll need:
175g strong bread flour**
175g wholemeal or spelt flour**
50g pumpkin seeds**
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp bicarb of soda**
A good grinding of coarse black pepper
200ml plain yogurt
2 carrots, peeled & grated
Handful of wild garlic
(**available from Scoop & Scales)
What to do:
- Preheat oven to 220C/Fan 200C/Gas 7
- Put flours, pumpkin seeds, salt, bicarb and pepper into a large bowl and mix well.
- In a pan gently heat the yogurt and 200ml of water with the wild garlic. Once wilted remove from the heat and blitz.
- Add the carrots to the dry mix and bit by bit stir in the yogurt.Mix well with a folk until well combined, then use your hands to bring together to form a rough ball.
- Grease a heavy baking tray with olive oil, place the dough on the tray and dust with a bit more flour.
- Make a few slashes into the top of the bread with a knife and bake in the hot oven for 40 minutes, until golden and risen.
- Remove from the oven and tap the bottom of the loaf. If it sounds hollow its done, cool on a wire rack.